Case Study: HUB Oakland
The HUB is a new workspace & community of changemakers in Oakland.
We produced & managed a Kickstarter campaign that blew away their $100,000 goal.
The HUB is a global network of shared workspaces where changemakers support each other in making the world a better place. Every HUB is independently owned, and HUB Oakland is poised to become one of the largest.
The founders knew they wanted to run a crowdfunding campaign, but they needed a story that would inspire thousands and a strategy to reach them.
Our goal? To turn HUB Oakland’s local vision into a globally-relevant movement.
In three months, Collective Agency developed & managed a Kickstarter campaign for HUB Oakland with the ambitious goal of $100,000.
Together, we raised 143% of that goal.
By overshooting by so much, HUB Oakland was able to collect more than $100K after paying fees to Kickstarter & Collective Agency, while expanding their space to include a mural.
The first and most important step was finding a great fit with a great client. HUB Oakland had an excellent vision & team, but they needed help telling a compelling story and developing a strategy to leverage their networks.
1. In our discovery phase, we interviewed team members to absorb the underpinnings of their story, identify target backer segments, and unearth assets that could be leveraged for the campaign. It became clear that we would need to pay particular attention to crafting the video, rewards, and outreach toward a broader audience than just members. Crafting a message that reached deep into the founders’ local networks while also appealing to wide global networks was the defining challenge of the campaign.
2. In our storytelling phase, we teamed up with our partner production company, Fertl, to create a compelling pitch video. The script and direction was the result of deep collaboration between both agencies and the HUB Oakland team.
The campaign messaging was framed by a famous Howard Thurman quote about what makes us “come alive” (image right). Not only did the quote introduce the video, but it informed the way team members talked about The HUB throughout the campaign, and inspired our URL that redirected to Kickstarter: ComeAliveWith.Us
In addition to providing a cohesive campaign message, we also developed a logo for HUB Oakland by combining the standard HUB logo with the iconic Oakland oak tree. This ensured that Oakland residents would immediately recognize the campaign as being locally relevant, allowing us to omit the word “Oakland” in the page title which increased traction from non-Oakland residents.
3. In our campaign strategy phase, we developed a number of innovative tactics:
- Rewards: By including the ability to sponsor low-income HUB members, we offered an altruistic option for backers who weren’t interested in co-working space for themselves.
- Outreach: In addition to standard tactics for social-media sharing, we leveraged the founder’s large e-mail lists to send personal messages to thousands of individuals throughout the campaign.
- Champions: Prior to the campaign launch, founders recruited “campaign champions,” close friends who became part of our extended campaign team.
- Events: A Kickstarter kickoff party built buzz about the campaign and helped get people in the same room, connecting the community that was essential to the campaign’s success.
- Much more: These are only a few of the tactics used. Collective Agency is currently developing a workshop and toolkit for crowdfunders – sign up here to be the first to hear when we release this information.
4. In our campaign management phase, we worked intimately with the HUB Oakland team as well as Collective Agency volunteers to bring all the threads together into a winning campaign. We spent weeks embedded at HUB’s campaign headquarters, providing support on everything from email messaging to data management, press outreach, social media, and more.
We lost a lot of sleep, but it was well worth it. 🙂
And it was an honor to work with such a great team on such a worthwhile project.